Family Law FAQ

1. Can I move to another state/county and file for dissolution there?

If you and your spouse have resided in the state of Washington while married, you will generally have to file in the state of Washington. You can file in the Washington county you moved to, even if you moved there from the county you and your spouse resided in. However, your spouse may be able to have venue changed to the county you resided in as a married couple.

2. Does it matter if I file or my spouse files for dissolution?

There is usually no advantage to being the one who files. The one who files is the Petitioner and pays the filing fee. The other spouse is the respondent. Both sides have the opportunity to fully present their issues. An exception is when the respondent fails to appear and respond after being served. The respondent could be defaulted in that situation.